| ||The first primary jail in Middlesex County, Connecticut was located in the town of Haddam. This jail facility was built during the late 18th century. During the 19th century, not only did this facility house criminals who committed serious crimes, such as murder, but it also was used to house criminals guilty of misdemeanor crimes. In 1837 an act was passed by the State of Connecticut, which stated that all prisoners would be put to work according to their size and strength. Various jobs were held by prisoners during this time including farming (the jail actually produced its own vegetables, dairy products and livestock, which was all maintained by the prisoners).
Furthermore, inmates performed duties such as mining and even participated in the construction of a new jail facility. The County Jail Farm or the 'County Club' as it was coined, was nicked named this because of its less than terrible living situations for inmates, and it continued to be a commercial farm until 1965. Prisoners who were being housed due to outstanding fines or bail fees could actually work off these debts. In 1969, the jail in Haddam was closed down and all prisoners were sent to the state facility where they are currently held today.